Updated on: 7 August, 2021
We have now fallen so much in love with the Swiss mountains that we love to come back again and again. Whether for hiking or skiing. Last year we were in Laax in winter . But it snowed so much that we didn’t even see the mountains. So we urgently had to travel to Laax again in winter. And we were lucky with the weather. It was fabulous.
Last time we stayed at the Hotel Peaks Place. This time we tested the newly renovated Riders Hotel , previously called Riders Palace. In the following article we describe our riders hotel experiences and what else you should do in Laax.
FROM PARTY HOSTEL TO CHIC LIFESTYLE HOTEL
The Riders Palace used to be known as a party accommodation. In the “basement” there was a big club and wild parties were celebrated here. Artists like Samy Deluxe or Cypress Hill have performed here . The club is still in a different form, but the hotel has changed completely.
The Riders Hotel reopened in December 2017 . Creative minds from the region have created a new refuge here for people who like an open atmosphere and who appreciate cool design and relaxed interaction with one another.
RIDERS HOTEL EXPERIENCES
To say it in advance: we are thrilled with the Riders Hotel ! We already have comparative values , as we have already tested the rocksresort and Hotel Peaks Place in Laax. These are both great hotels and each of the three hotels has its advantages and disadvantages, but maybe there is a detailed article on top of that.
➜ You can book the Riders Hotel directly here .
WHERE IS THE RIDERS HOTEL LOCATED?
The hotel is a few minutes’ walk away from the valley station, below the rocksresort. Almost directly at the Freestyle Academy.
We came by car and first looked for the parking space. Unfortunately, there are no parking spaces directly in the Riders Hotel . We were able to unload our luggage in front of the hotel and parked the car in the rocksresort parking garage . Cost: 15 francs / day.
You don’t actually need your car for excursions in the surrounding area and you can just leave it there. There are free shuttle buses everywhere.
WHAT TO DO WITH THE SKI EQUIPMENT?
There is a ski cellar in the Riders Hotel. You can either deposit your items there free of charge or deposit them in the ski cellar of the valley station. However, that costs extra. We just left our things in the car and then got changed on the car. Not an issue at all.
Because we didn’t feel like walking to the valley station with our ski gear every time. Even if it’s only a short walk.
The entrance area is very open and we were positively surprised by the stylish bar and the beautiful design and interior. Everything we needed was quickly explained and we were able to go to the third floor with our room cards.
The room blew us away! We had a king-size room with a floating bed and a view of the valley. The room was super stylish and the bed was just super comfortable. The picture windows are huge and you could stand there for hours and look out. You can also see quite well how the weather is in the mountains.
The room is modern and has everything you need (TV, minibar, etc.). A few hooks for hanging clothes are missing, so they’ll be scattered around the room later. But that’s half wild.
The rain shower is a dream, we could have spent hours under it. Important for women: there is a good hair dryer, so you can leave yours at home. Soap and shampoo are also provided.
Distributed in the room and also right next to the bed, there are plenty of opportunities to charge your mobile phone. There are even USB sockets.
Wi-Fi is not only available free of charge in the hotel but throughout Laax. Even at the mountain stations. You feel at home in Germany like in a developing country.
The Riders Hotel is one of the low-energy houses, also known as Minergie. This construction is sustainable and does not use a lot of energy. However, this also has disadvantages. It was always incredibly warm in the room, even though there was no heating. We actually had to open the window and air it all the time.
There is a good selection of Swiss cheeses, sausages, fruit, sweets and other goodies. In addition, muesli, scrambled eggs, dips, olives and fresh bread. Everything really delicious. The coffee and juices are also great.
We used the gym diligently. The freestyle area offers everything you need. There is also a free weight area and bicycles. There is also a table tennis table and a cozy games corner. You can also take part in yoga if you feel like it.
HANG OUT AT THE BAR
After dinner in one of the good restaurants around the corner (see below for a selection) we usually sat down at the bar and drank a well-mixed mojito or a freshly tapped Calanda. The bar is really cool and the atmosphere is very inviting. Otherwise there are also nice sitting areas if you don’t want to sit directly at the bar.
WHAT ELSE THE RIDERS HOTEL HAS TO OFFER
- Rooms: There are 63 rooms in total. Double rooms, kingsize rooms, studios with plenty of space, 4-bed rooms, family rooms and dorms. So really something for everyone.
- Bar in the lobby: in the evening you can sit at the bar and try something from the huge range. There are also small bites.
- Dinner: We were there during the week and unfortunately couldn’t test the dinner. On Fridays and Saturdays, a vegetarian 3-course menu is served on request from 7 p.m. You can make a reservation here .
- Riders Club: There are regular cool events in the club. Jan Delay performed at the reopening. Current events can be found here .
- Fitness studio: You can let off steam in the freestyle area, on the weight bench or on the cardio machines. You will also find a table tennis table and a play area in the area.
- Yoga: There is an extra yoga room that you can either use for a class or something.
- Wax room: No, it’s not used to remove hair, but to whip up your skis or snowboard.
- Spa area: There is no spa area directly in the hotel, but you can use the rocksresort’s spa for an additional charge. This is particularly useful in bad weather.
RIDERS HOTEL EXPERIENCE CONCLUSION
Our experiences at the Riders Hotel were consistently positive. It’s super stylish and cozy at the same time. There are certainly little things here and there that could be improved. But in which hotel does it not exist?
We were able to relax really well. After a strenuous day of skiing, we first enjoyed the rain shower and then snuggled into the cozy bed. In the evening we just stumbled into the restaurants to have a nightcap at the bar afterwards. So it was the perfect ski vacation for us.
➜ Click here to book the Riders Hotel .
SKIING IN LAAX – THE FLIMS LAAX FALERA SKI AREA
The Flims / Laax / Falera ski area offers you a great selection of slopes over a total of 235 km. The slopes are super connected and you can get from A to B quickly with the gondolas.
THE LARGEST HALFPIPE IN THE WORLD
If normal skiing is too boring for you, why not test your skills in the largest halfpipe in the world. It is 200 m long, 7 m high and 20 m wide. But you can also just watch the cool freestylers jumping – for example at the Laax Open. There are also many smaller pipes and opportunities to practice freestyle.
GALAAXY – CRAP SOGN GION MOUNTAIN STATION
The Crap Sogn Gion mountain station is not a normal mountain station and even from the outside looks like something out of a James Bond film. Like the Riders Hotel, the station has been completely refurbished. It is now called Galaaxy and has a lot to offer.
On the top floor there is a co-working space called “The Bridge” with a fantastic view of the mountains. There are workrooms and even a cinema there. Below is a spacey self-service restaurant with a good selection of food.
There is also a (not yet renovated) hostel, a cool library, a photo booth and a shelf full of old vinyl to hang up yourself. Really a cool thing, this Galaaxy.
LAAX / FLIMS EXCURSION TIPS
Lake Cauma is always worth a trip. Regardless of whether it shows its turquoise splendor in summer or hides under a blanket of ice and snow in winter.
On a great viewing platform you have a spectacular view over the Rhine Gorge. The best thing to do is to check the LAAX app ( Appstore / Google Play ) beforehand to see if the fog is restricting the view.
You have the opportunity to combine good food and top highlights of the area on a culinary trail . For example, you will pass Lake Cauma and the viewing platform over the Rhine Gorge .
Nice huts and restaurants to stop off at are, for example, the Conn restaurant or the Flims Surselva stock brewery .
LAAX RESTAURANTS RECOMMENDATIONS
- Nooba – super delicious Asian food; our favorite restaurant
- Camino – dreamlike pizza; but only if the head chef from Napoli is also there
- Burgers – delicious burgers (also vegetarian); but is more of a snack bar
- Tegia Larnags – top cheese fondue; a rustic mountain parlor with delicious Swiss specialties. It is a little above the valley station and you can “sledge” down with a toboggan after your meal. Pretty cool!
GOOD TO KNOW
- With the Laax inside app ( Appstore / Google Play ) you are always up to date with the latest information on slope conditions, the weather or even the waiting times at the lift stations
- If the weather is bad, just go to the Freestyle Academy – here you can take an introductory course on freestyle, skateboarding or climbing
- You can book the Culinary Trail both in summer and in winter and there are two different routes.
- Laax has the largest halfpipe in the world and the fun park has a lot to offer. It is not for nothing that the Laax Open is held here every year, to which freestylers from all over the world travel
- The region is also ideal for a visit in summer. The Rhine Valley, the lakes and the mountains invite you to wonderful hiking tours